Modern open source game engine

Virror
Topic Author

VR support

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:57 pm

I understand that VR is not on the top of the list atm, since there are still a bunch of "basic" features missing from the engine.
But i think a game engine that gives some love and focus to VR could be a really big hit, since its very fast growing.
What are the plans around VR support in general when it comes to devices (htc, rift, etc) and technologies (nvidia vr works etc)?

MarcoROG
Banshee Developer

Re: VR support

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion!
We have already considered VR support, but we feel such a feature would have to wait for a stable release, unless we find a contributor that wants to work on that.
For devices such as Gear VR we'd have to wait for the mobile ports of the engine, whereas Oculus and Vive compatibility don't strictly depend on other features in our timeline.
Keep in mind some of these featues could be implemented as a plugin and by consequence easily developed and integrated by external programmers.

Virror
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:25 pm

I totally agree that other features are way higher on the priority list atm, just thought it could be a great way of snagging some market shares ; )
Sadly i dont know a single thing about graphics programming or engine programming, but on the other hand its never to late to learn : p

MarcoROG
Banshee Developer

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Well, if you'd like to get into the field there are a lot of good resources out there to get started!
"Game Engine Architecture", Second Edition by Jason Gregory is a very good read that gives a good idea about what goes on inside an engine.
Diving into the inner workings of specific components can be more time consuming but it's really worth it!

Chilinger

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:52 pm

You could tinker both the shadow part is shader based on the blender that is opensource.
VR could use openvr, use sdk from other platforms so we can have a multi-platform engine (Face / wii / ps4 / xboxone / pc / android / ios / mac / webgl / html / linux / nitendo3ds / nitendoswith)