Modern open source game engine

Phariax
Topic Author

Beginner`s programming nest

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi guys!

First of all, I am absolutely impressed about Banshee, and that lots of work what lies behind the whole project. Congratulations for that!

For a while I am searching for a game engine, for using it for my game idea(s). Banshee is definitely at the very beginning on my list. 
The truth is, I am not a programmer, but a professional 3D Animator. However, as a hobbyist I have been learning C and Lua for a while, so I have some basic understanding about programming. 
Recently I noticed, the engines what I am looking for use C++ and/or C# (Xenko, Frankengine, Duality, Banshee). My question is, what would you advise to me, which language should I dig myself into, if for example I would like to use Banshee? Honestly my heart pulls me towards to C++, but my brain says I should go with C#, because probably would be easier and faster to learn it and put something game-like together. Of course I have a job, so the time what I can spend on learning/developing would be limited (at least for a while). 
I am asking this, because I would like to hear some opinions from professionals, before I make my decision.

Thank you for your time,
Sorry for my english.

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Re: Beginner`s programming nest

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Banshee is still in development, meaning there are a lot of issues you'll run into. Therefore it is currently only suggested for more experienced C++ programmers, who know how to resolve the issues that will be encountered.

In general though I suggest learning C# for your purposes, assuming you will only be doing mild gameplay-related programming.

Phariax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Thank you very much for the answer, and the warning. 

I read your progress updates on bsf forum, so I know we can expect a more stable editor/banshee engine in the future. Maybe in the Q1 of 2019?

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm aiming for first half of 2019, Q1 if lucky.

Phariax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Sounds nice. 

Roland99

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 am

I also suggest learning C# first. It is way easier to understand in my opinion.
And if you later want to switch to C++, it will be easier to learn since you'll already have knowledge from C#.

Phariax
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Hey Roland, thank you very much for your advice. Yes, I have been thinking about the same in the past days, so I made my decision and I will go with C#.