Modern open source game engine

Roland99
Topic Author

First Person Character Controller

Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Hey, I made this first person character controller while I was messing around with the engine and with the scripting API.
I've decided to share it here, so you have something that you can use to test your game. This controller doesn't account for slopes though.

Download available here.
Please note that this was made in Banshee v0.4!

How to setup?

1. Create a new scene object, and rename it to something reasonable like "Player".
2. Create another scene object as a child of the player object, rename it to "Head" and rotate it by 180 degrees on the Y axis. *
3. Create a new camera as a child of the head object. You will have to assign this camera to the "Character Camera" slot in the camera script.
4. Add a Character Controller component to the player object.
5. Add the Character Motor and Character Camera scripts to the player object.

* For some reason the camera renders backward, this object will only be used to flip it. You can also use this object to position the camera better.
Last edited by Roland99 on Wed May 02, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Re: First Person Character Controller

Wed May 02, 2018 8:58 am

Nice work, I'm surprised you got everything working in 0.4 considering how old and buggy it is!

I have an artist friend who is slowly working on a project in Banshee, and he needs a programmer who can help him implement the gameplay elements. It's nothing too serious yet, but he's an experienced artists and can handle pretty much everything on that end. If you want to do some work like this towards a larger project let me know and I can put you in touch.

Roland99
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm

That would be awesome! Keep in mind though that I have my own project that I am working on with a few people, but I'm pretty much done with most of the scripting for that game so I'll definetely be able to spend some time on other projects. Send me a PM with some additional information if you feel like. ;)

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Wed May 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Sent you a PM.