Modern open source game engine

lochiano
Topic Author

CMAKE

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Congratulations on putting so much energy into this engine and then sharing it with the world.
I want to compile the entire suite of features.   However, your documentation simple says "Generate a build file (e.g. Visual Studio solution or a Makefile) using CMake".   Unfortunately that is not enough information for anyone that has never touched your application before, so some questions.  I am using Cmap 3.7.0 on Windows 10.
   1. which of the large number of source directories has the main cmake instructions?  No matter which directory that I try, cmake throws errors.   I tried the main source directory (CmakeLists.txt).   Cmake reads this but does not provide any options beyond "specify the generator".   and after the configuration step, cmake always throws a "No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.
  2.  I also tried specific source directories like Banshee Engine, and these give even more errors, like
     No CMAKE_C_Compiler; No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER; No cmake_minimum_required command is present.

Since the library says it is targeted toward Visual Studio 2015...you may want to consider not only using Cmake, but also including a sample Visual Studio 2015 solution file.

lochiano
Topic Author

Re: CMAKE

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Ok..for all of you that do not normally use CMake, here are the CRITICAL steps to be successful:
1. Execute your Visual Studio->Visual Studios Tools->Developer Command Prompt for VS2015.    This sets up the myriad of path directories so that CMake can find all of the Visual Studio tools.  If you do not do this, CMake will fail to find Visual Studio, and you will not actually see the Banshee build options.

2. change to the directory where you installed cmake (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin>.

3. execute cmake-gui.exe.

4. In CMake browse to the directory where you downloaded (and unzipped) the Banshee game engine (e.g. C:/Banshee Game Engine/Original/BansheeEngine-master/BansheeEngine-master/Source)

5. In CMake, browse to an appropriate build directory (e.g. C:/Banshee Game Engine/Original/BansheeEngine-master/BansheeEngine-master/Cmake Output).  You may need to create this directory.

6. Configure the build.   Make sure that you are seeing the correct options ( Audio_Module, Build_Editor, Include_All_In_Workflow, Input_Module, Physics_Module, Renderer_Module, Render_Api_Module).   About the only thing that you need to select is the Include_All_In_Workflow, the others are defaulted.

7. Generate.   This should populate the "Build" Directory with all of the directories for all of the modules.  These directories will include a handful o ffiles such as the *.vcxproj and the local debug output folder.

8. The Banshee.sln will be created in the top level directory in the "Build" directory.

9. In CMake, the Open Project will launch Visual Studio with the solution file.    From then on you can go straight to Visual Studio and open the Banshee.sln file normaly.

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks for setting up the guide!

In order to make the process easier in the future I added a batch file "setup.bat" that handles this process automatically. I also updated the compilation guide to better reflect the needed steps for those that still choose to do it manually: https://github.com/BearishSun/BansheeEngine/blob/master/Documentation/GitHub/compiling.md

Hopefully this reduces problems for other new users.

Virror

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:36 pm

I think this new simplified system is great!
Really makes it easier for ppl to get started.

Nedash

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:01 am

I tried to collect on CMake with comand - cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles" ../ 
I knock out errors:
... Cannot find imported library: PhysX3_x86 PhysX3_x86_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
... Cannot find library imported: PhysX3Common_x86 PhysX3Common_x86_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
... Cannot find library imported: PhysX3Cooking_x86 PhysX3Cooking_x86_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
... Cannot find imported library: PhysX3CharacterKinematic_x86 PhysX3CharacterKinematic_x86_LIBRARY_RELEASE-NOTFOUND
but there are x64 files in the project.
on "GitHub" link to "PhysX" does not work.
i need help guis.))
I have Windows 10 x64, Eclipse 4.10, MinGW compiler.
Help correct the error, I really want to try the engine))

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:47 am

Looks like it's trying to create a 32-bit build. 32-bit dependency binaries are not provided by default, but you can compile them yourself by following the dependency documentation. 

An easier option is to enable 64-bit build, but I'm not familiar with the MinGW toolchain on how is that done. 

Nedash

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
As it turned out, I have "MinGW" - this is x32.
I installed "MinGW-x64", and all this is compiled.
Then I import the project into Eclipse, try building the project ...
Errors occurred during assembly.
Startup errors for the 'CDT Builder' linker on the 'BansheeEngine' project.
Internal build error of the BansheeEngine configuration project. Default
Resource is not made by this argument !!!
Internal build error of the BansheeEngine configuration project. Default
Resource is not made by this argument !!!
Now i reading about the Makefile and try setting up a project in Eclipse, it may work)).
And, as I learned, Eclipse supports downloading a project from Git (https://github.com/BearishSun/BansheeEngine.git),
and he has his own CMake (but it need installing).