Modern open source game engine

Wanderer
Topic Author

OpenGL support (2 and 3) and other Engine questions

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:30 am

Hello

1. Can I use OpenGL 2 or 3 with Banshee engine? Can I use it with editor too? For instance I can't use Unreal Editor without modern graphic. I hope in your engine will be some option to run editor without some graphic features (OpenGL 2 or 3).

2. Can I code game with only C++ with this engine (inside VisualStudio) and use editor for build levels?

3. Can I integrate / use other GUI inside engine? And how hard it can be for beginner (I am not fully beginner maybe little advanced) in C++?

4. Why NVidia Physics instead Bullet?

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Re: OpenGL support (2 and 3) and other Engine questions

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:15 pm

1. No older OpenGL versions will be supported, the engine is looking towards the future rather than focusing on backwards compatibility.

2. Yes, although the workflow for this situation hasn't been ironed out. There's likely to be extra work required.

3. Yes, but it's not a beginner friendly task, depends on the GUI framework being integrated.

4. Because it has proven to be a capable and performant library in many large scale commercial projects. Bullet might be as well, but PhysX was a safer bet.

Wanderer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks for answers.

I like the documentation you (or your collaborators) provide. This is what I really like on this engine. Most of others have not so good documentations. If I got new PC I look back in to your engine.

Last question, I discover there is bs::framework, the web page looks similar to banshee3d and version is 1.0, what is difference between banshee3D and bs::framework? And why it is not mentioned somwhere on webpage? Maybe I overlook something?

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:49 pm

bs::framework is the C++ core of Banshee. If you only want C++ development, bs::framework is the way to go. Banshee3D is bs::framework + editor + scripting. It's linked on the GitHub page.