Modern open source game engine

Kisvakond
Topic Author

Double Precision Cooridnate Support for Large Mutiplayer Worlds?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a Vulkan-based multi-platform engine that supports large-scale worlds (world area > 10000 km2) on a multiplayer basis, requiring 64-bit floating point precision for coordinates of objects and entities (also in multiplayer game logic). I've found no reference on the precision of your engine, but I would like to avoid re-inventing wheels.

Does Banshee have support for such requirements or is it planned/possible for such features to be implemented? I'm also asking in terms of the tools used, e.g. the editor.

Thank you in advance!
Best Regards

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Re: Double Precision Cooridnate Support for Large Mutiplayer Worlds?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 am

There is no double-precision support. It's a very specific feature so it's unlikely to be implemented soon unless more people request it. 

It would certainly be possible to switch the scene graph to double precision if someone was so inclined (all coordinate data is handled through the Transform class). The biggest issue would probably be the renderer since you likely don't want to send double-precision data to the GPU, which means all the coordinates would need to be converted to camera-relative space before sending them to the shaders (and update the shaders accordingly).

Kisvakond
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Thank you for the quick response!
I'm not looking for render-time double-based workflow. I would downscale coordinates to float as soon as the extra precision is no longer needed. The only purpose it would serve is to maintain the positional correctness and client consistency of entities distant from each other, esp. in multiplayer environment where the server must work with 8-9 digits to maintain accurate client status.

Cheers

metric_tensor

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:24 pm

I have the same need.  I was hoping for support for arbitrary data types outside of the renderer.