Modern open source game engine

iLiwe
Topic Author

I got a question

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello, i am iLiwe. I am developing games with Unity for 2 years. I have a reasonable amount of C# knowledge. So, the thing is, when i was browsing github, i saw this. Did some look into it, and it got everything what i need! I am bored from Unity i mean, it is great but i wanted to use some another thing. This game engine is very good in my opinion. So, my question is:

1. When will you release Banshee to Linux?
So, i use Linux (Ubuntu to be specific) as my main OS. I don't use Windows, and i won't use it. Banshee can be ported to Linux because it is made with C++ right? So, the question is when it will released for Linux?  I am no C++ expert nor a Linux expert. I would love to help but i sadly can't.

Thanks for reading.

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Re: I got a question

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Linux version should be available within the next couple of months.

However be aware that Banshee is not production ready, and use is not currently recommended unless you are willing to dig into the C++ side of things.

iLiwe
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 pm

BearishSun wrote:
Linux version should be available within the next couple of months.

However be aware that Banshee is not production ready, and use is not currently recommended unless you are willing to dig into the C++ side of things.

Aww. Sad. By "not production ready" do you mean compiling stuff etc. Or you say there can be some major bugs in the game? I could dive into C++ side of things, i could learn them at school, and would be very helpful to me. Though i still don't know. But i would love to try it out then make a decision.

BearishSun
Banshee Developer

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Crashes, major bugs and non-functional features. The focus is currently on finishing up the C++ core, while the editor is still a bit behind and requires extensive re-testing due the amount of changes made in the last year.

iLiwe
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Hmm... Meh, testing is still good. I will test it once it is compatible with Linux. Maybe i could do some C++ stuff. I did worked with C before. It should gain me an advantage. Thanks for the info. ;)